You don't have to be a gourmet chef to find the perfect side to go with dinner tonight. These quick and easy dishes serve 4 and complement a variety of proteins. Better yet, you'll get vibrant colors and flavors and a boost of veggies.
Roasted Greek-Style Potatoes
Eating healthy should still be delicious.
Sign up for our daily newsletter for more great articles and tasty, healthy recipes.
The oven temperature may seem too high, but don't fear: The wedges are thick enough that they will cook through without overbrowning.
Haricots Verts with Warm Shallot Vinaigrette
Applying heat to the dressing allows the shallots to mellow and the mustard and rosemary to steep in the olive oil.
Farro, Mushroom, and Walnut Pilaf
No need to microwave the farro; it will absorb enough liquid and heat through in the pan. Use the green parts of the green onions as well as the white for flecks of color in the finished dish.
Celery, Apple, and Almond Salad
Crunch rules in this fall salad. Cut the celery on the diagonal for long, thin slices that will match the shape of the apple slices. We like a tart-sweet Pink Lady or Fuji apple here.
Almond-Garlic Swiss Chard
Don't toss those stems! They have a lovely texture when sautéed. Use rainbow chard for stems that will add a vibrant pop of color.
Use this recipe as a template for any hearty vegetables and grains you have on hand, like broccoli and green beans or quinoa and farro.
Roasted Butternut with Sage and Thyme
Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best. In this one, butternut squash combines with oil, sage, and thyme for a can't-be-beat weeknight side.
Packaged broccoli slaw adds instant crunch and color to this salad. You an also toss it into stir-fries, use it to bulk up chili, or add it to quiche or casseroles for a veggie boost.
35 Easy Side Dishes
Looking for side dish recipes to round out your meal? You’ve come to the right place! Here at A Couple Cooks, we’ve been cooking up side dishes for years. That means, we’ve had years to weed out the bad ones and find the very best. To use, the best side dishes:
- Are seriously tasty: It’s got to taste amazing, from crispy roasted Brussels sprouts to a tangy, crisp chopped salad
- Have a healthy spin: Great sides are full of vegetables, healthy fats, whole grains, and whole foods
- Are easy to make: Some of these are quick, some take longer, but all of them use simple methods and are accessible for cooks of all skill levels.
Each one of these side dish recipes has been tested multiple times in our kitchen, and eaten by our friends and family. And every single one of them has been a hit! A few more side resources, before we get started:
What To Serve With Ravioli?
Today, I present to you 13 of the best side dishes to make your Ravioli even better:
- Roasted vegetables
- Spring salad
- Caesar salad
- Broccoli rabe
- Cipollini onions
- Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto
- Green beans
- Snap peas
- Zucchini crisps
- Italian bread
- Garlic bread
- No-knead sourdough rolls
Quick and Easy Taco Side Dishes & Appetisers
If you want to know what to serve with tacos in a hurry, these side dishes are quick and easy to make and will take your meal up to that extra level by adding a little something extra to go with your taco main dish. Each of these easy taco side dishes takes 15 minutes or less to make and can easily be delegated to another member of the family to help at dinner prep time!
- Mini Mexican street corn
- Black bean and corn salsa
- Homemade Refried Black Beans &ndash This homemade refried black beans recipe is ready in just 10 minutes! This makes the perfect filling addition to your family taco nights!
- Guacamole &ndash While guacamole is great inside your tacos, it is also a quick side dish paired with some tortilla chips. This quick & easy guacamole recipe is made with a handful of healthy ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes! &ndash If you want to add a little extra crunch to your meal, served with additional salsa, these air fryer tortilla chips are made in minutes from soft tortillas.
- Easy Spanish Rice &ndash This easy Spanish Rice is a delicious vegetarian rice recipe. This versatile dish makes a tasty side dish on taco night. It is also a perfect addition to other Mexican entrees like burritos or burrito bowls. Better yet? You probably already have the ingredients you need for it on hand and ready to go in less than 15 minutes.
- 7 Layer Dip with Black Beans &ndash A delicious 7 layer dip with black beans is made with the classic Mexican Flavors and served with tortilla chips. This easy, make-ahead bean dip will become your favourite side to serve with tacos. &ndash This easy flavour-loaded copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa recipe is made in just a few minutes with a few simple ingredients. It can be made with either frozen or canned corn, plus you can make it ahead of time to serve at your next backyard BBQ or social gathering! Serve it with tacos, fajitas, or tortilla chips for dipping!
- Black Bean And Corn Salsa &ndash Black bean salsa is always a crowd favourite, with deliciously fresh and vibrant flavours and a great appetiser or side with tortilla chips.
- Roasted Salsa Verde &ndash Homemade Roasted Salsa Verde is so easy to make, made with tomatillos instead of red tomatoes, to give it the zesty flavour! Pair it with some chips for a yummy appetiser or go next level with your taco toppings!
- Frijoles Puercos &ndash Frijoles Puercos (or Piggy Beans) is a tasty side dish that is packed with flavour. Made up of beans, meat and melted cheese. Serve it with tacos or any of your other favourite Mexican dishes.
- Easy Mexican Rice &ndash This Mexican rice dish is ready in under 10 minutes for a quick side dish that will feed a crowd or keep the family happy on cooler nights.
- Black Bean Pineapple Salsa &ndash This Black Bean Pineapple Salsa is fresh, colourful, delicious, and goes great with tacos or tortilla chips. Ready in 10 minutes!
- Mini Mexican Street Corn &ndash These mini Mexican street corn, or Elote, is a quick and easy side dish. The sweet corn pairs well with enchiladas, quesadillas, tacos and more!
- Mango Habanero Salsa &ndash Mango Habanero Salsa is a combination of sweet mango with spicy habanero peppers for a zesty, healthy, no-bake, sweet and spicy salsa dish. Serve the mango salsa on the side or add fresh, sweet flavours to your ground beef tacos.
- Grilled Shishito Peppers Recipe &ndash Grilled shishito peppers and corn is an easy and healthy recipe brimming with sweet and spicy flavours, as either a side or an appetiser. &ndash These zesty, lemon garlic prawns are quick and easy in a skillet and will be a hit with the whole family!
Mitch Mandel and Thomas MacDonald
Cooking for a crowd can be time-consuming, but with this quick recipe, you'll have more time to spend with holiday guests. The only ingredients you need are carrots, olive oil, and honey! This fall vegetable also goes well with roast beef and other hearty dinner ideas.
Get our recipe for Roasted Carrots.
Popular Filipino Food Recipes
Popular Filipino dishes include whole roasted pig (lechón ), Philippine sausage (longganisa), cured beef (tapa), omelet (torta), and pork blood stew (dinuguan).
Others include meat stewed in tomato sauce and liver paste (kaldereta), larded beef in soy and tomato sauce (mechado), beef and bananas in tomato sauce (pochero), and oxtail and vegetables cooked in peanut sauce (kare-kare).
Then again, others include eggplant, beans, okra, and tomato stew flavored with shrimp paste, deep-fried pig’s leg (crispy pata), pork sweetened in pineapple sauce (hamonado), meat or seafood in sour broth (sinigang), noodles (pancit), and fresh or fried spring rolls (lumpia).
Many Filipino Chicken Recipes
Chicken cannot be absent from the dinner table and Filipino chicken recipes are in-demand and are handed down from generation to generation because of its authenticity and uniqueness.
Why you should try out Filipino Chicken Recipes. Besides the flavorful aroma, it brings out the best flavor in your chicken. Filipino herbs and spices such as paminta, bay leaf, siling labuyo and anise are allowed to soak deep down in your chicken so that its flavor supersedes that of any chicken recipe.
For instance chicken braised in garlic, vinegar, oil and soy sauce, or cooked until dry (adobo), and simmered chicken and vegetables in tomato sauce (afritada).
Traditional Filipino snacks range from the very simple, like ice cream or pork rinds to empanadas and arroz caldo.
No-Churn Buko Pandan Ice Cream: Rich and creamy, it’s a frozen treat you’d want year-round!
Arroz Caldo: A rice porridge filled with chicken, scallions, toasted garlic, and a hard-boiled egg.
Pork Chicharon: A classic Filipino snack made by deep-frying pork rinds.
Maruya – Filipino Banana Fritters: Sweet and crunchy, it’s the perfect afternoon treat!
Cheese Puto – Steamed Cake With Cheese: It can be enjoyed as-is for merienda (afternoon snack).
Filipino Empanadas: Full of flavor with flaky light pastry using a secret ingredient.
Breads and pastries from the Philippines are well-liked by the Filipinos. In fact, any one of them can recall a morning of eating hot pandesal with their family, or passing an afternoon of eating siopao with friends. The children get the thrill of opening their lunch box at school and seeing a large, puffy, creamy ensaymada.
The breads and pastries in the Philippines, are not just for eating. They are a treasured tradition. The Filipinos share these breads and pastries with their families. They bring them home as gifts, and consume them together with loved ones during holidays and special occasions.
What to pair with swordfish after summer ends
If it's autumn or winter, you might want to consider some heartier side dish options. Jane's Kitchen recommends going for earthy flavors with a wild rice mushroom pilaf or picking a substantial cooked vegetable like sautéed beet greens. There are also lots of swordfish pastas, so if you want to recreate the pasta swordfish experience while keeping swordfish as the nutritional heart of the meal, try serving it on zucchini noodles and topping it with a garlic pesto.
So you have your side dishes picked out, now what drink should you serve? If you'e a wine drinker, Cooking Chat explains that the right wine depends on how you're preparing your swordfish. A medium-bodied red wine like Pinot Noir or Nebbiolo is great if you're having a hearty swordfish meal, while a full-bodied white or rosé will be perfect if you went for a lighter preparation.
Asian Side Dishes
Sometimes side dishes seem so hard! Here are some fun recipes that go beyond plain white rice to serve with your Asian inspired weeknight meal.
Vegetable Fried Rice from Strength and Sunshine &ndash A super quick and easy Classic Vegetable Fried Rice recipe so you don&rsquot need to order takeout! It&rsquos gluten-free, vegan, top 8 allergy-free, healthy, and full of veggies! A perfect Asian side dish for using leftover rice and transforming it into a delicious lunch or dinner!
Asian Style Sweet Potato Noodles from Healthy Little Foodies &ndash These spiraled sweet potato noodles are dressing in an Asian style dressing that is a perfect Asian vegetable side dish to add to your weeknight meals instead of rice!
Coconut Rice from A Family Feast &ndash This Asian side dish recipe couldn&rsquot be easier to make &ndash and the flavors of the rice infused with coconut milk and cilantro is out of this world!
18 Healthiest Vegetable Side Dishes
Mitch Mandel and Thomas MacDonald
Side dishes might not be the stars of your meal, but they're just as important as your main course. You want to ultimately whip up something that perfectly pairs with the main dish, and luckily, many veggie-based side dishes fit the bill. And whether you follow a vegetarian diet or simply looking for more ways to incorporate vegetables into your diet, making a vegetable side dish is always a solid option. Adding one (or two!) to your plate helps you get essential fiber and nutrients in tasty, filling ways. Vegetables don't have to be boring!
Here, we rounded up the 18 best vegetable side dishes that you can serve alongside any dinner. And for more, don't miss these 15 Classic American Desserts That Deserve a Comeback.
8 bold, hearty salads that are more than just side dishes
Here are 8 recipes that will leave you full and still relatively guilt-free.
Smoky Bacon and Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Who says bacon takes away the health value of a salad? A combination of that most-loved of pork products, black-eyed peas, peppers, red onions and celery makes this crunchy salad hearty yet still jam-packed with vegetables. You can serve the dish right after assembling, but if you have a little time, let it rest in the fridge to let all of the flavors settle in nicely.
Get the recipe
Smoked Trout Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
The scallions, parsley and cucumber add depth and splash of color to a classic dressing that pairs perfectly with rich, smoky trout, mild potatoes and sweet pickled onions. While you can certainly smoke your own trout for this salad, you can find good-quality smoked trout in your local supermarket, making this an ultra-easy weeknight dinner.
Get the recipe
Fall Harvest Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
This recipe uses mirlitons, a uniquely Southern member of the squash family that has a subtle and a nice crunch. Add in roasted butternut squash and a piquant, mustardy viniagrette, and you'll have a salad worth passing around the table all season long. Don't like (or can't find) any of the ingredients? This salad is highly adaptable to just about any seasonal vegetable you find in the produce section.
Get the recipe
Grilled Eggplant and Summer Fig Salad
Using a grill to cook the eggplant adds a smoky char that helps to highlight the sweetness of the figs. The peppery arugula and creamy ricotta balance all of the ingredients together into a tasty, harmonious bite.
Get the recipe
Shaved Zucchini and Toasted Corn Salad
Perfect for anytime you’re craving sweet summer produce, this light and vibrant salad gets a fragrant note from herbaceous basil, plus crunchy pecans and salty Parmigiano-Reggiano. For best results, use a y-shaped peeler so you get beautiful wide ribbons with the most surface-to-flavor ratio.
Get the recipe
Summer Stone Fruit Salad with Blue Cheese and Pecans
Fragrant, nutty pecans and sweet ripe stone fruit meet in this satisfying salad that's perfect for a light lunch or part of a no-fuss weeknight dinner. When looking for the perfect stone fruit to pair with pecans, look for darker varieties, which will often be sweeter than their tart red counterparts.
Get the recipe
Grilled Kabocha Squash Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
A tasty way to incorporate winter squash into your salad routine is to throw thick slabs of roasted kabocha squash on the grill before tossing it with greens, goat cheese and toasted pepitas. The smoky flavor of the squash pairs beautifully with a maple vinaigrette. Who says you can't have a little sweetness in your salad?
Get the recipe
Peach Caprese Salad
This traditional caprese salad gets a Southern twist by swapping out tomatoes for slices of sweet, ripe peaches. Perfect for a satisfying lunch or light dinner, you can also make this salad party-style by cutting each ingredient into bite-sized pieces, stacking them on a festive skewer, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Get the recipe
Photo credit (Smoked Trout Salad with Green Goddess Dressing, Grilled Eggplant and Summer Fig Salad, Shaved Zucchini and Toasted Corn Salad, Summer Stone Fruit Salad with Blue Cheese and Pecans, Peach Caprese Salad): Lauren Booker
Photo credit (Fall Harvest Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette): Ramona King
Photo credit (Grilled Kabocha Squash Salad with Maple Vinaigrette): Maura Friedman
Dena Rayess is a recipe editor and cookbook author based in San Francisco. She enjoys exploring new foodways in and around the Bay Area and beyond, and has been known to whip up a mean house cocktail at dinner parties.
What Desserts Go with Chicken Cordon Bleu
12. Oreo Cheesecake Bites
Cheesecake can be such a rich and filling dessert, which is why it’s so great when it comes bite-sized…though we can’t guarantee you’ll only want one. These adorable mini cheesecakes have an oreo cookie at the base instead of a crust.
Just 6 ingredients are needed in this recipe to create a delicious dessert that embraces the beloved flavor combo of cookies n’ cream.
13. S’mores Pie
Need a quick dessert? Look no further than this S’mores Pie which can be ready in less than 30 minutes and is sure to be a hit amongst the kids and the kids-at-heart.
This pie has everything you want in a great dessert. It’s chocolatey with a gooey toasted marshmallow topping and that incomparable crispy graham cracker crust. Even better, you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already.