This version of Mac & Cheese Tastes good and is good for you too
"When I was growing up in the middle of America, I loved and lived on mac and cheese. This recipe takes 20 minutes, but you do need to do a little planning and place the cashews in a bowl of water the night before. Then you’re ready to go when you come home the next evening."- Julie Montagu, The Flexi Foodie.
Recipe excerpted with permission from cookbook Super Foods Super Fast: 100 Energizing Recipes To Make in 20 Minutes Or Less by Julie Montagu. Click here to purchase your own copy.
- 2 Cups dried macaroni (even better if it’s gluten free and/or wholegrain!)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 140 Grams (heaping 1 cup) cashews, soaked overnight, then drained
- 1 1/2 Cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- juice of ½ lemon
- large handful of kale, shredded