Serves 12 - 14
Cooks In1 hour plus cooling
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 489 24%
Fat 28.8g 41%
Saturates 16.9g 85%
Sugars 34.8g 39%
Salt 0.3g 5%
Protein 7.2g 14%
Carbs 52.8g 20%
Fibre 2.3g -
Of an adult's reference intake
- 140 g unsalted butter
- 150 g quality dark chocolate , (70%)
- 8 tablespoons quality cocoa powder
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 200 g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 heaped tablespoons soured cream , or crème fraîche
- 1 x 25 cm flan or tart shell , baked blind
recipe adapted from
Penguin Anniversary Edition: The Naked Chef
By Jamie Oliver
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas 2.
- Place the butter, chocolate, and a small pinch of sea salt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Sift in the cocoa powder, then allow everything to melt slowly, stirring occasionally until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and well creamed, then add the golden syrup and soured cream.
- Stir your chocolate mixture into this mixture, scraping all the chocolate out with a spatula. Once you've mixed it well pour it into the pastry shell.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. During cooking a beautiful crust will form on top.
- Carefully remove the tart from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes, during which time the skin with crack and the filling will shrink back slightly.